If you’re from Chattanooga, and if you’ve ever wanted to know
more about your spine, this article is for you. We’ve compiled the
most interesting facts about the spine that we could find—and since
knowledge is power, they may save you from an injury one day.
For all you Chattanooga, TN residents out there, knowing about your spine
is one of the best ways to prevent injury. So to avoid regular visits
to your Chattanooga, TN chiropractor, keep reading.
13 Interesting Facts About the Spine
over 120 muscles in the spine. When the spine gets out of alignment, any one of those 120 muscles can
be yanked with the maladjusted vertebrae, pinching nerves and causing pain.
- The spinal column has approximately 220 ligaments that keep the vertebrae
in place and resistant to external force (like a car crash).
- The spine has 100 joints, making it flexible enough to curve into two thirds
of a circle.
One fourth of the spine’s length is from cartilage, the sponge-like cushion that separates vertebral discs.
- When an astronaut returns to Earth, he may be 1.5 to 2 inches taller than
when he left. This is because the further one gets from the gravitational
pull of Earth, the less pressure gravity places on cartilage.
- The most common cause of back pain in America (and Chattanooga, TN) is
Both giraffes and humans have 7 vertebrae in the neck.
- The first set of vertebrae—the 7 cervical vertebrae—are also
called Atlas, after the Greek myth about Atlas, a character who lost a
fight and had to carry the earth on his shoulders.
- We are born with 33 vertebrae but only have 26 by the time we become adults.
Four vertebrae fuse together to form the tailbone, and 5 fuse together
to form the back of the pelvis.
- It is estimated that 80-90% of back pain will resolve itself without treatment
within 4 to 6 weeks.
When you injure the spinal cord, the body can’t send signals to your
skin to trigger sweat glands. A person with a
spinal cord injury must cool down externally—like with a bucket of cold water.
- 82% of people with spinal cord injuries are male.
- As a result of cartilage compression due to gravity, humans begin to lose
a quarter of an inch to 5 inches of height per decade after age 40.
What do you know about the spine?
The next time you see your chiropractor in Chattanooga, TN ask him about
some of these facts. Which of your 120 spinal muscles is causing you pain?
Where exactly are those 220 ligaments in your spine located? Can you feel
them? And while you’re at it, find out how much height your are
likely to lose after age 40. Being a patient of a chiropractor in Chattanooga,
TN is your ticket to knowledge about the spine. And knowledge is prevention,
when it comes to back injuries. (Just be careful on the road! See number 6.)
Do you know some facts about the spine that we haven’t mentioned
yet? Do tell! Leave us a comment in the box below, click submit, and you’ll
have a conversation going in no time. We love to hear from our readers—and
our readers love to hear form other readers—so take a moment and
give us your knowledge. Who knows, maybe you’ll save someone’s
back from an injury!