What Chiropractic Can Do About Your Hips
If you have hip pain, you’re probably willing to try a lot of tings to get it to go away. Walking around Chattanooga, TN isn’t as fun when you have chronic hip pain.
What to do? Any Chattanooga, TN chiropractor will be on your side. In fact, not only will they be excited to help you walk without pain, they have treatments specifically for eliminating hip pain once and for all. What are they and what do you have to do? Let’s find out.
Types of Hip Pain
We know you probably want to cut to the chase here and find out what a Chattanooga, TN chiropractor does to treat hip pain, but since treatments are holistic—tailored to the reason for pain—you have to know what’s going on with the hip first. And that’s exactly what this ChiroNexus article provides us with. Here are the most common reasons people see chiropractors for hip pain and one of them could be the reason you’re suffering right now:
- Inflammatory diseases (like osteoarthritis ): Believe it or not, this one is the most common hip pain culprit among older adults. It’s a degenerative condition of the joints and has no cure—BUT you can slow the progression and prevent symptoms from getting worse.
- Inflammation : There are several ways elements of the hip itself or its surrounding ligaments can become inflamed. One is illness or injury triggering the space in the hip joint to fill with blood or fluid, preventing the femoral head from having as much room to move. Another is bursitis , inflammation of the sac outside the hip, which can be caused by overuse or minor trauma.
- Trauma: This one seems pretty obvious. If you injure your hip, it will probably hurt. Broken hip bones are more common with the elderly, but pulled ligaments in the hip from an accident can hurt pretty badly too.
- Overuse Injuries: Heavy use of the hip joint can cause arthritis or inflammation. And it’s not just the hip—daily routines that place strain on the hip can inflame the surrounding ligaments, tendons, and muscles. This pain can build up over time.
- Referred Pain: Patients commonly complain of pain in the hip that is actually originating from nearby nerve pain. For example, a Chattanooga patient with sciatica will often complain of pain in the hip when the true source is in the back, where bones and muscles are pressing on the sciatic nerve due to spinal degeneration, Piriformis syndrome , or disc herniation.
Do any of those sound familiar? As you can see, there are many different reasons for a hip to hurt. If your chiropractor can’t determine what’s causing the pain, he can’t treat you properly. So now that we know why you’re suffering from hip pain, let’s look at what chiropractors can do about it.
How Chiropractic Helps
After determining the true source of hip pain, a chiropractor will most likely do some adjusting of the spine and hip bones, and may also incorporate other therapies like exercises, posture advice, stretching, massage, and more. For example, chiropractic is known to effectively treat sciatica, so if your hip pain is referred from some sciatic nerve pain, then obviously the most effective treatment will be spinal adjustments.
Let’s look at some of these treatments a little more in depth. Spinal manipulation is the first type of therapy most chiropractors will employ, and you can learn more about it here . But there’s also a lot you can do at home that a chiropractor will coach you on. What kind of at-home stretches might a chiropractor recommend for hip pain? Check out this video of some helpful chiropractic hip stretching. Bad posture can also be a source of pain for the hips. To alleviate it, proper posture lessons may be provided by your chiropractor, as in these tips . He may also refer you to a physical therapist or massage therapist to help you get even more pain relief, depending on if your hip pain is derived from one of the sources listed above. If your pain is due to osteoarthritis, for example, this study shows how 83% of patients with osteoarthritis saw improvement in symptoms after 6 chiropractic visits. There is hope for hip pain!
Have you ever seen a chiropractor for hip pain?
Whether or not you’ve received chiropractic treatment in the Chattanooga area for hip pain, we know that if your pain isn’t gone, chiropractic can make it that way. Knowing the facts about a holistic treatment like chiropractic can make your life much easier.
Have you ever seen a chiropractor for hip pain? If so, we want to know about it! How long before your symptoms improved? Has the pain stayed away? Did you make any lifestyle changes? Leave a comment in the box below!
- December (2)
- November (3)
- October (2)
- September (6)
- August (5)
- July (3)
- June (5)
- May (4)
- April (5)
- March (4)
- February (2)
- January (2)
- December (2)
- November (1)
- October (2)
- September (2)
- August (2)
- July (3)
- June (2)
- May (2)
- April (2)
- March (2)
- February (1)